Mandala Magic : a 12-month online programme for artful self discovery Lessons delivered monthly from January – December 2014
You are a soul seeker, in pursuit of Life’s Great Mystery.
Being creative is a therapeutic exercise for you.
Mandala art attracts and fascinates you.
You believe in something beyond the mundane – and in a little magic.
You wish to learn the symbolic language of mythos, dreams and archetypes.
If any of those statements resonates with you, I’d love to extend to you an invite to join me on a journey towards wholeness, as together we explore the twelve archetypal stages of the Great Round of Mandala, in a 12-month online programme en route to the centre of self.
It’s a journey of self-discovery… it’s a very intuitive way of doing deep work. ~ Tamsyn
The vehicle we’re going to use is our art journal, but you don’t have to be an experienced art journaler to accompany me on this journey. In fact, this series will be especially helpful to you if you;
- Are a wannabe art journaler but not sure where to begin.
- Don’t identify with being an artist, but want to cultivate a creative response to your personal development work.
- Would like to join a structured creative programme but don’t want to over commit.
- Want to explore art therapy as a self help technique.
- Wish to explore the psychology of self in a creative environment.
- Know that you’re ready to deepen your art journal practice, but would welcome some guidance and group support.
You don’t need to be an artist, or have a truck load of artist’s supplies to take part. As long as you have a journal to take notes in and a pen or pencil, you can get started. If you do have a truckload of supplies – and know how to use them – you’re going to have a ball!
This journey doesn’t depend on artistic ability and there are no wrong answers. ~ Joni
I was told I was no good at art when I was at school and never saw any reason to challenge that view – I’ve now discovered that in art, I have another tool with which to explore aspects of myself that might be more difficult to bring to the surface via other methods. ~ Tamsyn
What will we do in this 12 month programme?
You are about to begin a journey of meaningful personal revelations.
The Great Round of Mandala is an exploration of the cycles of self, and through this journey you will uncover and connect with your unique collection of and attraction to symbols and archetypes - your personal mythology.
The language will be revealed in the form of mandala. When you can understand this mythical language (that of the psyche, itself) your connection with the greatest mystery of all (your very existence) will deepen. From this state, you become truly empowered and will discover that the choices you make are grounded in true psychological freedom.
According to Carl Jung, a mandala is the psychological expression of the totality of self. During this programme you will learn how to interpret the mandala and engage fully in your symbolic life.
It has always been the prime function of mythology and rite to supply the symbols that move the human spirit forward. ~ Joseph Campbell
The project will focus on developing your art journaling process and divining meaning from your mandalas and the pages in which they rest. (This project is not about teaching mixed media art techniques, although I will share my approach and techniques in the art videos.)
Together we will
- Explore the 12 archetypal stages of the Great Round of Mandala
- Create (at least) 12 individual Mandalas
- Activate our unconscious wisdom
- Uncover our personal symbology
- Reveal the patterns and designs of our emerging self
- Learn how to interpret our creations
- Explore the psychology of self
- Connect with our intuitive creativity
- Establish a monthly art journal practice
- Inspire our journey towards wholeness
- Participate in a private Facebook group (optional)
- Gather together each month in a virtual circle (optional)
It can – and does – mean whatever you feel it does. You can skim it or dive deep depending on the exercise, your state of being, or whatever is influencing you at the moment. ~ Joni
This journey promises to offer you an opportunity to bring your unconscious into the light (at least once each month!)
Why should we undertake a journey into our unconscious?
This work is utterly transformational. It affects every facet of your life – from your most important relationships to how you deal with the checkout assistant at the supermarket. Each time I work with it, my understanding of the world – and my place in it – deepens. It is true to say that since beginning this work …
- I am happy with my self most often.
- I experience more psychological freedom than ever before.
- Most of my behaviour is rooted in love.
- My capacity for compassion has multiplied.
- I am at peace with how I look in the mirror.
- I am creating a business that is truly in line with my values.
- My body is stronger and healthier.
- I am able to stop the stress response in its tracks before it sees me pay the price.
- I have the courage to experience true vulnerability.
- My marriage is stronger, and grows better every day.
- I am much quicker to forgive others – and myself.
- My parenting is improving (at a traditionally difficult time of transition.)
- My creativity has soared!
I have used as a guide on this journey my understanding and interpretation of the work of Carl Jung, the seed of which was planted by working alongside my husband Martin in his personality profiling company PeopleMaps.
Exploring the psyche was not something I set out to do with my life, but when I came to blend that inner work of understanding self with my interest in creative pursuits, everything seemed to fall into place for me. I came to realise my dharma, my life purpose.
There is also the question of seeking something more out of this life experience. A hero’s journey. A spiritual quest.
I don’t think I could say it any better than Jungian expert Jolande Jacobi,
To deepen and broaden consciousness by raising unconscious contents to consciousness is an ‘enlightenment’, a spiritual act.
But here’s the crux of things – and it’s really quite simple.
When I better understand myself – when I am more awake to my place in the greater scheme of the cosmos – then I am better able to navigate my everyday existence. Tough times become easier to handle and good times even more so. Those times in between, they become even more meaningful.
What is the Great Round of Mandala?
The Archetypal Stages of the Great Round of Mandala is a concept developed by art therapist and founder of the MARI® (Mandala Assessment Research Institute), Joan Kellogg. She developed her studies of Jung’s theories in parallel with her own work as a mandala artist to form the basis of significant psychiatric therapy research.
The Mandala Magic 2014 programme will follow Kellogg’s cycle of twelve archetypal stages, in which all of our life experiences are said to be experienced. As we fulfill our potential towards wholeness, we revolve around the twelve stages of this cycle, meeting our true self stage-by-stage;
- Stage One : The Void
- Stage Two : Bliss
- Stage Three : Labyrinth/Spiral
- Stage Four : Beginning
- Stage Five : The Target
- Stage Six : Dragonfight
- Stage Seven : Squaring the Circle
- Stage Eight : The Functioning Ego
- Stage Nine : Crystallisation
- Stage Ten : Gates of Death
- Stage Eleven : Fragmentation
- Stage Twelve : Transcendental Ecstasy
The initial prompts for our journey together are provided in The Mandala Workbook by Susanne F. Fincher. (You don’t need to purchase the book for the purposes of undertaking this journey. The programme is designed to be self-contained and to encourage your unique, personal creative response.)
Each lesson includes;
- Introduction to the archetypal stage for the month
- Introduction to an aspect of the psychology of self or art therapy
- Art video (30 mins – 1.5hrs)
- Downloadable PDF (approx 2o page, full colour) with mandala exercise instructions
- Before and after journal prompts for reflection
- Each stage is discussed in the Facebook Group, with additional weekly prompts.
- Every month, students are invited to an hour-long online Gathering.
I think people should know how much time, energy, investigation, openness and sharing you put into each lesson, not just the material but the preparation you do before hand. ~ Nicola
Registration is Now Open!
This is the second year of the course and I know it works, as I’m pleased to welcome back students from last year, who are ready to dive in even deeper. It’s a wonderfully revealing journey, full of riches and I would be thrilled for you to join us.
Registration is by monthly subscription and costs £27GBP (approx $44USD) per month, via PayPal (you don’t need a PayPal account and can pay using any debit/credit card.)
***LIMITED OFFER*** Join now and subscribe for only £15/mth (approx $24USD)*** That’s a saving of £144 over the course of the year!
I’ve always had a hard time feeling like I fit in. I’m in continual recovery from divorce and the need to find out where I am, who I am, etc now that one of my major life roles has ended. By doing the exercises and the journaling that results from them, I’m feeling like I’m headed for some of my answers and I’m enjoying your accent tremendously! ~ Joni
I appreciate your wisdom and vulnerability that shone through in your video. Your beautiful soul shone through your hands and the words you spoke.” ~ Tania
I found the Mandala course to be inspirational. Not only did it boost my creativity, I also learned many new techniques not to mention a thing or two about myself while I was at it. Thank you Julie.”~ Mhairi