Mandala Magic is a Year-Long Online Art + Journaling Program
which explores the twelve stages of the Great Round of Mandala.
Each month you receive access to a rich and varied treasury of resources that allows you to undertake a guided, meaningful exploration into your selfhood, using the mandala form as your guide.
During the twelve months you uncover and connect with your unique collection of (and attraction to) symbols and archetypes – your personal mythology, revealed and contained in the form of mandala.
When you understand this mythical language (that of the psyche itself) your connection with the greatest mystery of all (your very existence) will deepen.
From this state, you become truly empowered and will discover that the choices you make in your everyday life are grounded in true psychological freedom.
According to Dr Carl Jung, a mandala is the psychological expression of the totality of Self. During this program you will learn how to design, construct and interpret many different types of mandala – and engage fully in your symbolic life.
The project will focus on developing your art journaling process and learning how to communicate with your mandalas and the pages in which they rest.
Who Are You?
- You are an awakening woman.
- Being creative is a therapeutic exercise for you.
- Mandala art attracts and fascinates you.
- You wish to learn the symbolic language of myth, dreams and archetypes.
- You many not identify with being an artist, but want to cultivate a creative response to your personal development work.
- Art therapy as a self help technique appeals to you.
- You prefer to explore the psychology of self in a creative environment.
- You know that you’re ready to deepen your art journal practice and would welcome some guidance and group support.
Together We Will
- Explore the 12 archetypal stages of the Great Round of Mandala.
- Create (at least) 12 archetypal Mandalas.
- Develop our mandala knowledge.
- Activate our unconscious wisdom.
- Uncover our personal symbology.
- Reveal the patterns and designs of our emerging Self.
- Learn how to interpret our creations.
- Explore the psychology of self.
- Connect with our intuitive creativity.
- Establish a monthly art journal practice.
- Inspire our journey towards wholeness.
- Participate in a private Facebook group (optional.)
- Gather together for virtual circle time (optional.)
What You Receive
- Detailed Getting Started information pack, including supplies list.
- Monthly welcome videos.
- Video Introduction to the archetypal stage for the month.
- Introduction to an aspect of the psychology of self or art therapy.
- Downloadable Art demonstration videos.
- Downloadable PDF Guidebook (approx 25 page, full colour) with step-by-step instructions.
- Alternative mandala exercises + instructions inspired by each stage.
- Before and after journal prompts for guided reflection.
- Lovingly crafted sonic mandala (audio playlist) for each stage.
- Corresponding list of further recommended resources.
YOU DON’T NEED TO BE AN ARTIST!
Don’t worry if you don’t consider yourself an artist – this program is for creative women of all kinds, however experienced – and you do know that you are creative, don’t you?
You don’t even need to have a truck load of artist’s supplies to join in and your getting started information pack will contain a list of basic supplies that you’ll need to take full advantage of each of the exercises.
That being said, if you do have a truckload of supplies – and know how to use them – you’re going to have a ball!
Please do know that this project is not about teaching mixed media art techniques, although I will share my approach and techniques in the demonstration videos.
This work is ALL about the process, not the end product and there’s never any requirement to share your mandala creations unless you want to.
WHAT IS THE GREAT ROUND OF MANDALA?
The Archetypal Stages of the Great Round of Mandala is a concept developed by art therapist and founder of the MARI® (Mandala Assessment Research Institute), Joan Kellogg.
She developed her studies of Jung’s theories in parallel with her own work as a mandala artist to form the basis of significant psychiatric therapy research.
That research resulted in the Great Round of Mandala – an identification of twelve different types of mandala that correspond to a particular stage of life cycle development.
The Mandala Magic 2017 programme follows Kellogg’s cycle of twelve archetypal stages, in which all of our life experiences are said to be experienced.
As we fulfil our potential towards wholeness, we revolve around the twelve stages of this cycle, meeting our true Self stage-by-stage.
December 5th : Bonus lesson + Getting Started Information
January 1st : Stage One : Void
February 1st : Stage Two : Bliss
March 1st : Stage Three : Labyrinth/Spiral
April 1st : Stage Four : Beginning
May 1st : Stage Five : Target
June 1st : Stage Six : Dragonfight
July 1st : Stage Seven : Squaring the Circle
August 1st : Stage Eight : The Functioning Ego
September 1st : Stage Nine : Crystallisation
October 1st : Stage Ten : Gates of Death
November 1st : Stage Eleven : Fragmentation
December 1st : Stage Twelve : Transcendent Ecstasy
MANDALA MAGIC IN WORDS + PICTURESA small sample of contributions from previous Mandala Magicians.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this class designed for?
Do I need to be able to draw to complete this class?
You don’t need to be “good at art” to take part in Mandala Magic, although you’ll get the most out of it if you already enjoy creative exercises and have a desire to create drawings and images that carry meaning for you.
The program focusses on the process of using art to explore your psyche – and uncover your true nature, so there is no pressure to produce any result other that the one that arises.
If you are an artist who wishes to explore the basics of mandala construction and learn more about different theories and the symbolism behind the form, then you’ll be off to a head start and will romp through the content!
What supplies do I need to participate?
You will definitely need a journal, sketchbook or other paper upon which to create your mandalas. You can make it as fancy or ordinary as you like – this is your mandala experience.
I prefer to use sketchbooks designed for art, rather than journals designed for writing. These come in a variety of types and sizes – my favourite is a UK size A4 or a US size 12″x9” and I like the books made by Stillman & Birn (Zeta series) and Strathmore.
You can use a smaller book or paper, but you’ll find it quite limiting and soon feel the need to expand!
You will definitely need a compass, a pencil, a ruler and an eraser.
Additionally, you’ll need something to colour in your work. That can be as simple as some basic children’s art supplies – like coloured pencils or felt pens.
Although it’s tempting to go out and collect a whole boatload of new shiny supplies, it’s always best to interpret the lessons to make use of the supplies you already have, before you discover what supplies you actually want to work with.
You’ll be given a full list of supplies demonstrated throughout the year + where to buy them.
How long will each lesson take?
Depending on your experience, you’ll need to allocate up to two – three hours to watch each of the lessons and complete your own mandala.
There is additional reading material for you to enjoy, with recommend resources to follow up with, so you can expand the work if you choose.
Can I join in from my city?
This workshop is delivered to you online, so as long as you have a valid email address and are able to access a computer with internet access, you are able to participate from anywhere in the world.
The content will be delivered on my website with a mix of writing and some video, so you will additionally need to be able to stream video and audio. I use Vimeo to host videos, so please make sure you are able to view their videos.
Do I need to attend classes in real time?
What happens when I register?
- Sign up today + receive your PayPal receipt.
- Look out for a confirmation email from me within 7 days, with details of next steps.
- You’ll be invited to the Getting Started information + Bonus Lesson on 5th December.
- The first lesson proper begins January 1st 2017
SIGN UP FOR MANDALA MAGIC 2017
Registration will open soon!
Please sign up for updates for news + updates for notification!